Entry Open Date: March 14, 2018
Open Entry Fee: $200.00 per dog, 2 dog limit (Entry for both rounds; no single round entries accepted)
Entry Fees Per Class: Nursery – $45; Open Ranch – $50; Pro Novice – $45; Novice – $40
Classes Offered: 2 Open trials over 4 days; 130 dogs per trial; USBCHA Sanctioned
4 Nursery trials over 4 days; USBCHA Sanctioned
2 Open Ranch trials over 2 days
2 Pro Novice trials over 2 days
2 Novice/Novice trials over 2 days
Class descriptions are located on the website: http://www.bluegrassclassicsdt.com
Class Schedule is listed below.
Open & Nursery Judges: Mark Elliott & Mike Northwood
Open Ranch Judge: To be announced by May 1, 2018
Pro-Nov & Novice Judge: To be announced by May 1, 2018
Trial Coordinator: Marianna Schreeder, firstname.lastname@example.org
Handlers entered in the 2018 Bluegrass Classic will be held accountable for knowledge of the “2018 Entry Guidelines and Trial Information”.
Failure to read such is not defensible for failure to comply.
2018 Bluegrass Classic Entry Guidelines & Trial Information
1. Entries Due –
• Entries open March 14, 2018.
• Entries will be accepted through Handlers Post, http://www.handlerspost.com.
• The initial window for entering the 2018 Bluegrass Classic SDT will be March 14-16 (noon through noon EST)
• All entries submitted during that time will be prioritized first and processed as “initial entries” in regard to the draw and waiting lists. Entries submitted after that time, until the closing date on April 24th, will be placed at the bottom of any wait lists.
• 1st open dogs will be drawn prior to 2nd open dogs.
2. Payment –
• Checks must be postmarked within 3 days of entry submission. Failure to do so may result in entries dropping to the bottom of waiting list(s).
• Please send separate checks for each Open dog entered, merchandise purchases and KBCA memberships.
• Payment information and the mailing address for checks will be on the printed entry forms.
Bluegrass Classic SDT
Masterson Station Park
3051 Leestown Road, Lexington, KY 40511
May 16-20, 2018
• Upon receipt of checks & entries, email confirmations will be sent. If you do not get a confirmation for receipt of your check in a reasonable amount of time, please contact email@example.com.
3. Refunds/Withdrawals –
• Accepted Entries: Checks will be deposited on April 25th. There are no refunds for any accepted entries after midnight on April 24th, regardless of wait lists.
• Wait List Entries: If an entry does not move off the Wait List, in any class, the check will be destroyed or the entry refunded after the trial.
4. Important Dates –
• March 14: Entries open
• April 11 – 13: Open entry and wait list published
• April 18 – 20: Novice Field entry and wait list published
• April 20: Merchandise pre-orders & Program ad deadlines
• April 24: Cancellation deadline for full refund; no refunds after this date
• April 25: Checks cashed for all accepted entries
• May 2 – 4: Running orders posted
5. Entry Changes –
• Changes for canceling a dog, swapping an Open wait-listed dog with an accepted dog, or changing the class of a Novice field dog may be made on line, prior to the trial. Go to your online entry and make the changes. If the change requires a check, print the new entry and send it with a check.
• Open handlers may change the dogs they are running up until 6:30 pm on Tuesday evening, May 15th (Open 1) and 6:30 pm on Thursday evening May 17th (Open 2); afterwards, no changes are possible. Health emergencies will be considered.
• Novice Field handlers may change the dogs they are running up until 6:30 pm the evening before their scheduled class. If a handler has multiple dogs in a class, the handler may not swap the order of dogs.
• Wait listed entries will not be added to a class after 6:30 pm the evening before the scheduled class.
6. Open Standard –
• A standard of a 50-point loss will be imposed for every run in Open.
• The KBCA Board will evaluate standards and make modifications as the need arises.
• A lack of progress policy will be in effect at all times.
7. Tie Breakers – If two or more competitors stand equal in points, the judge and the KBCA Board will settle their priority: 1) by the combined points for the gather, 2) by each subsequent phase of the trial [i.e. the drive, shed & pen], and 3) by going back to the individual points of the outrun, then the lift, then the fetch. A run-off for 1st place will occur if daylight permits.
8. Double Lift Final –
• The top 20 combined Open scores will advance to the Double Lift Final on Sunday.
• Appropriate attire is suggested for the double lift finals. Collared shirts for men, blouses for women; no sandals, shorts, t-shirts or athletic attire (i.e. sweats). Suitable outerwear is allowed, weather permitting.
9. Novice Field Information –
• Depending on the number of entries received, Novice Field classes may be limited to 2 dogs per handler.
• Novice Field entries and wait lists will be “class specific”. For example, if a Nursery dog is accepted in the Nursery class, the dog will be accepted in all four (4) Nursery classes. The wait list will not allow a dog to be accepted in two (2) nursery classes and be wait-listed in the other two (2) classes.
• Entries will be allowed to enter by class. For example, a Nursery dog will be allowed to be entered in two (2) classes. It is not mandatory to enter all four (4) classes.
• Entries for the Novice Field be drawn at random with any 3rd dogs being drawn at the end of the wait list.
• If a dog cannot locate the sheep with several attempts, handlers will be excused by the Course Director & Judge.
• Handlers may not leave the post in order to walk up the field to assist their dog in locating the sheep.
• If a handler persists in ignoring the Course Director & Judge, the handler may be asked to forfeit future run(s) in current or future classes at the discretion of the KBCA Board. The forfeiture may apply to any class at the Bluegrass Classic.
• Handlers may enter separate dogs in Open Ranch & Pro Novice, or they may enter separate dogs in Pro Novice & Novice. No handler may enter dogs in all three (3) of these classes. No handler may enter Open Ranch & Novice.
• A lack of progress policy will be in effect always.
• The Novice/Novice classes will not be subject to the rules listed above.
10. Merchandise –
• Apparel can be ordered via the Entry Form, after printing, or at http://www.bluegrassclassicsdt.com via PayPal
• Shipping options are available on line, or you may pick up your order at the trial. Please note an increase in shipping costs.
• Samples of merchandise will be located on http://www.bluegrassclassicsdt.com.
• Please pre-order to ensure size and style preferences.
• Deadline for all pre-orders is April 20, 2018.
• Merchandise will be available for sale at the trial. Quantities will be limited.
• Merchandise will not be available for post-trial ordering. Please pre- order!
11. Volunteers –
• Please consider lending us a hand as a volunteer!!
• There are an overwhelming 161 three-hour volunteer shifts that must be filled.
• Please contact Joan McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for the volunteer spots or visit https://bluegrassclassic.wordpress.com/volunteers.
• When contacting Joan, please let her know when you will arrive at the trial, depart and which classes you have entered.
12. Camping –
• Campers will not be allowed to park at the trial site until 12 pm (noon) on Tuesday, May 15th, without exception.
• Violators will be asked to move until parking is open or be relocated to the KY Horse Park for the duration of the trial.
• If you need to dump or get water before or after the trial, the KY Horse Park is nearby. Potable water & a dump station are provided free of charge.
• Camper dumping will be provided for $20 per camper on Thursday & Saturday.
• Potable water will be provided for $20 per camper on Thursday & Saturday.
• Water containers can be filled at the Wash Racks along Shamrock Lane. The 1st wash rack is on the north side of the Lane near the parking lot for the Hunter Ring. The 2nd wash rack is on the south side of the Lane across from the Indoor Arena.
• Do NOT use these hydrants for filling your entire RV tank! Do so at the KY Horse Park.
• Alternate camping suggestions may be provided upon request to Leigh Anne Tucker at email@example.com.
13. Hotels –
There are a multitude of hotels to choose from at Exits 113 & 115 off I-75. Below are a few favorites of those who have competed in past Bluegrass trials:
• Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, Lexington Northeast: 1780 Sharkey Way, 800-HOLIDAY or 859-231-0656. They do NOT accept pets in the room; closest to the trial site; off Leestown Road.
• Staybridge Suites: 125 Louie Place, 859-233-2300, also off Leestown Road.
• Red Roof Inn North: Exit 113 on I-75/64, 1980 Haggard Court, 859-293-2626.
• La Quinta Inn: Exit 115 on I-75/64, 1920 Stanton Way, 859-231-7551.
• Four Points Sheraton: Exit 115 on I-75/64, 938 Stanton Way, 859-259-1311 or 1-800-325-3535.
Please check pet policies!
14. 2018 Schedule –
• Tuesday, May 15th
5:00 pm Open Ranch 1 Handlers Meeting
6:00 pm Open 1 Handlers Meeting
• Wednesday, May 16th
6:30 am – Open Field: Dogs 1 – 65
6:45 am – Novice Field: Open Ranch 1, Nursery 1
• Thursday, May 17th
6:30 am – Open Field: Dogs 66 – 130
6:45 am – Novice Field: Nursery 2, Open Ranch 2
Open 2 Handlers Meeting – 1 hour after the last open run
• Friday, May 18th
6:30 am – Open Field: Dogs 1 – 65
6:45 am – Novice Field: Nursery 3, Pro Novice 1, Novice 1
• Saturday, May 19th
6:30 am – Open Field: Dogs 66 – 130
6:45 am – Novice Field: Novice 2, Pro Novice 2, Nursery 4
7:30 am – Pancake Breakfast
7:00 pm – Handlers Dinner & Awards Ceremony
• Sunday, May 20th
7:30 am – Pancake Breakfast
7:30 am – Church Service
7:45 am – Double Lift Handlers Meeting
8:00 am – Double Lift Final
10:30 am (approximately) – Presentation of Handlers
4:00-5:00 pm – Double Lift Awards Ceremony
15. The KBCA Board of Directors reserves the right to review special circumstances as they arise